Buckingham and Stowe Running Club AGM & Presentation Evening
Meeting held on Friday 6th January 2017 at Buckingham Cricket Club
The meeting commenced at 19.40
Present: Hazel Allen, Tony Allen, Sue Baker, Ian Barham, Richard Batchelor, Emily Bowen, Sara Brooks, Kevin Brown, Simon Buchan, Sara Butler, Guy Carberry, Sarah Cross, Jonathan Fox, Joanne Freer, John Freer, George Gavrel, Duncan Gordon, Julie Gordon, John Greener, Sarah Grey, Lindsay Harper, Jenny Harris, Matt Harris, Chris Herbert, Karen Herring, Claire Hubner, Simon Hull, Andrew Jarvis, Jenny Johnson, Jane Keig, Debbie Morris, James Newman, James Norris, James Olliffe, Alex Penny, Laura Penny, Terry Penny, Eddie Pollock, Lucy Price, Paul Sadler, Barry Sampson, Jane Smith, Carol Thomson, Steve Thomson, Steven Thorn, Wendy Turner, Justin Wetters, Sian White, Dave Winget, Heidi Young
1. Apologies: Shay Harper, Linda Knox, Carol Mathews, Stuart Mathews, Katie Rainscourt, James Stubbings
2. Minutes of AGM held on Friday 15th January 2016 Agreed and signed as correct.
3. Matters arising from minutes None
4. Chairman’s report Chris thanked the committee for their hard work throughout the year. We were particularly pleased to have won the Bucks and MK Club of the Year Award which was presented to Jane Smith and Terry Penny last November.
Jane Keig and Chris have been on the Leaders in Running Fitness course. Alex and Chris will also be assessed in April on completion of the Coach in Running Fitness Course.
The cross-country team are having success in the Chiltern league.
10 members attempted the three peaks challenge, but poor weather forced them to give up before they climbed Snowdon. Another attempt will be made in 2017.
A trial event for the half marathon in May was successful and drew a lot of positive comments.
The quiz night raised just over £1000 for our half marathon.
In the wider community members painted the MM scout hut, joined in a river rinse and clean for the Queen. Members also donated to the church food bank.
(The full report can be read on the website).
5. Membership Report. Terry reported that membership now stands at 138. Members were encouraged to join England Athletics and the benefits were outlined.
6. Treasurer’s report on finances Jonathan presented a report on finances, copies of which were made available at the meeting.. The club is looking into buying a gazebo and some redesigned club vests.
7. Subscriptions for 2017 Payment by 28th February was proposed as £12. New or late payers would pay £14. Affiliation to England Athletics will cost £14 in 2017/18.
8. Election of Officers The following people were re-elected
Chairman – Chris Usher, Vice chairman – Steve Thomson, Secretary – Terry Penny, Treasurer – Jonathan Fox, Publicity/club championship administrator – Laura Penny, Club Coach – Alex Penny, Beginners/Improvers – Jane Smith, Run Leader – Lucy Price.
James Stubbings has resigned and the committee propose to cover social events between themselves.
9. 2017 Club Championships Members were given the chance to vote for the races they would like to include in the 2017 championships.
10. 2017 Club standards
It was proposed that certain events such as the MK 5k rocket which are arguably not typical of the genre should not be allowed to contribute towards any club standard. The committee would decide on whether any specific event qualifies for club standards and its decision on the matter would be final.
Everyone agreed to this.
11. Update on BSRC half marathon event
89 runners have signed up for this event. Club members will not be allowed to enter as they be involved in running the event. They will have a chance to run on the course later in the year. Entry fees are £22 and £24. Flyers and posters are being designed and will be available soon.
The charity to be supported will be Bucks Young Carers.
12. Club trips for 2017
Bournemouth has been chosen as it has a full and half marathon on the Sunday as well as a parkrun, 10k and 5k on the Saturday. Dates are 7 and 8 October. Details of accommodation will be circulated soon.
13. Possibility forming a triathlon branch
About 20% of members take part in triathlons. It was agreed that work needs to be done on swimming and cycling. The committee will look into whether we need to join Triathlon England. They will also look into the possibility of using Stowe School swimming pool.
Further developmental objectives were distributed at the meeting.
14. Any Other Business
Linda Knox asked that the club consider changing the start time of one of the club nights in winter to 7pm and 7.15/7.30pm in Summer. 6.45 is quite early if you don’t work in Buckingham. There was sufficient support to warrant further investigation into the idea.
The meeting closed at 20.38